Saturday, May 18, 2013

Keep Calm and Look to the Cross.

Now, some might say it's not healthy to look to the cross, because "Jesus isn't there" anymore.  Perhaps they misunderstand, but as I gaze upon the old rugged cross, I think about what it means.  I think about the great implications of all that went on in Jesus' last days.  Jesus endured more than just the cross, but that was the greatest of them all.  In the Garden of Gethsemane Jesus was wrestling with God about going to the cross.  Yet, He surrendered when He said "Your will be done."  Some say that Jesus really died in the Garden, for that's where He surrendered.  Next, Judas comes to betray Jesus, and His response kills me every time.  Jesus calls him "friend."  And as that all was happening, every one of His disciples desert Him; even the head-strong zealot Peter denied Him three times. Beatings, lashings, insults, betrayal.  If there is one who deserved vengeance, it's Jesus for He was completely innocent.  Jesus didn't defend Himself; He had something greater in mind.  He entrusted Himself to the one who judges justly.  The most remarkable thing about this horrible tale is that Jesus did it all for me.  For you.
     After His resurrection, Jesus welcomes His disciples as brothers.  He doesn't cast them out because they deserted Him.  Even Peter who thrice denies Him was "restored."  James wrote that "mercy triumphs over judgment."  As I relate this to myself, no, I've never denied Jesus three times, nor did I betray Him into the hands of sinners.  And I believe that Judas was--and is--still deeply loved by Jesus and was heartbroken over his choice.  Jesus doesn't compare, nor show partiality to anyone, so should I ever feel unloved by my Jesus?  In the fire, how could it ever come to my mind that I should require Jesus to show me more love than by all that He did His last days into His resurrection?  It's that my emotions sometimes lie to me, though they tell me what's going on underneath.  That is why I must trust my God, the word of God more than my feelings.  For my heart and flesh may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and portion forever.
    Therefore, keep calm and look to the cross.

0 comments:

Post a Comment